Monday 28 November 2011

Reaping art in Mossbank

BY DEREK CORNET
Carved bird feathers are compared to real feathers in Smith's house.

Nestled between rolling hills, a salt water lake, and a vast prairie landscape I came across the town of Mossbank. At first look, Mossbank seemed to be a small town that could be found anywhere in Saskatchewan. At closer inspection though, one element stood out: art. I found art in the museum, the general store, the bar, everywhere. I was about to find out why.


“At one time Mossbank had more craftspeople per capita than any other community in Canada,” Joy Silzer said to me over a cup of coffee and banana bread in her home.

Silzer never stopped smiling as she described the art shows. She is one of many Mossbank artists who have gained widespread attention. She had spent many years as a Saskatchewan Art Council member, traveling extensively all over Canada. Silzer thought traveling with her art was fun but also exhausting. She left the council in the early 90's.

Silzer got up from the kitchen table and walked into the living room. I followed her while listening to the creaks in the floor. She stood next to a large display of little people made from Neepawa spring wheat. They were no bigger than the height of a pen and were incredibly detailed. I gazed at them. There were fishermen, farm wives gathering eggs, dancing couples and, my favorite, a farmer having a nap behind a sheaf of wheat. Her little people documented the life of many people who lived in rural communities. I had history in the palm of my hand. I was holding a piece of Saskatchewan. I looked up at Silzer, and she was smiling again. She knew I was impressed.


“I do traditional designs like hearts and house blessings and stuff. But the people, the little people became my own thing,” Silzer said. “My little people used to do everything I did.”


But her passion did not stop there. She also had grasshoppers made from the straw. It did not surprise me that she had made them. Only a few moments earlier Silzer was telling me how destructive grasshoppers were to straw and wheat. She must have spent countless hours sorting through grasshopper-damaged plants.

Silzer grew up on the Prairies. She always thought at harvest time it was the most beautiful place on Earth. In Saskatchewan after the harvest, it does not take long for winter to arrive. Many winters would be spent creating her artwork.

Donald Smith, another local artist, also spent many winters creating his artwork. I arrived at his house and was greeted by many birds. The birds were very happy in Smith’s yard and ate and bathed without a care I was there. Their sounds were very refreshing, even making me feel a bit home sick for northern Saskatchewan.


Smith used to hunt with his father as a child in Mossbank. Mossbank is in a major migratory path for birds. It was the perfect opportunity for Smith to learn about birds. Over his life time, Smith has shot, picked and cleaned hundreds of birds. By doing this Smith learned everything about birds, right down to their finest details.


Smith’s home was cluttered when I arrived. He was ready for us and had his artwork all over the kitchen table on display. Smith’s experience with birds was evident in his artwork. Through a large magnified glass Smith carves out his birds. He adds so much texture to his carvings that its as if they had been gliding with the birds in his yard. He takes pride in adding special extras to his work. Unlike his father, Smith uses glass eyes and plastic feet to make his birds look more realistic. The entire time he explained this too me, I kept staring at a bird carving that seemed to be staring back at me. It was a golden eagle standing on a buffalo skull over a foot high. Smith is right - it’s all in the eyes.

I left Smith’s house and walked in his yard. The birds didn’t care I was there and continued their feeding frenzy. I left the yard and began walking down the street. I could still hear the birds. I remembered what Silzer had told me. She had said she thought there were so many artists in Mossbank because it was such a calming place. She was right. Mossbank is a calming place and, without a doubt inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment